Thursday, March 28, 2013

Telesa


 
Telesa: The Covenant Keeper (Telesa, #1)
4 stars
 
Synopsis
When Leila moves to her new home, all she wants is a family, a place to belong. Instead she discovers the local ancient myths of the telesa spirit women are more than just scary stories. The more she finds out about her heritage, the more sinister her new home turns out to be. Embraced by a Covenant Sisterhood of earth's elemental guardians - what will Leila choose? Her fiery birthright as a telesa? Or will she choose the boy who offers her his heart? Daniel - stamped with the distinctive tattoo markings of a noble Pacific warrior and willing to risk everything for the chance to be with her. Can their love stand against the Covenant Keeper?

A thriller-romance with a difference. If you enjoyed Twilight, then you will be enthralled by Telesa as it blends the richness of Pacific mythology into a contemporary young adult love story that will stay with you long after you have turned the final page.
Review
I want to start by saying that this book is not something I would typically read. I had a hard time connecting time with the characters in the beginning, but once I actually got quite a few chapters I actually found myself enjoying the book. Leila is an 18-year-old girl who has loses her father, then is forced to live with an overbearing grandmother, so she decides to take off to Samoa to find out more about her heritage. The problem is, she doesn’t feel any more welcome in Samoa than she did back home. Her Aunt and Uncle are less than enthusiastic that she is there, and once she is settled in they set strict rules for her. Leila is happy to have the opportunity to be in Samoa and doesn’t want to seem ungrateful, so she does as they ask. At school she ends up meeting some friends and the most beautiful boy she has ever seen, Daniel. She tries to ignore her feelings, but she is drawn to him, as he is to her. Shortly after she arrives in Samoa she begins to feel ill, especially at night, She feels like she is on fire. Leila’s biggest problem is that no one will discuss her mother with her. As Leila and Daniel’s relationship gets more intense, so does her fever, then something happens which completely changes everything. One day after school Leila comes home and finds someone there she never expected….someone she believed was dead….and Leila’s life as she knew it changes forever. The end of the book was definitely action packed and had a lot of unexpected twists and turns.
I definitely feel as though the ending was the saving grace for this book and, the end of the book definitely left room for another story which I will be making an attempt to read, I just hope that in the next book there is room for a greater love affair between Leila and Daniel.
 Authors Bio
I was born and raised in Samoa - in a family of six children. I spent a lot of time sitting in mango trees, reading books and hiding from chores and pesky younger siblings. I'm a mongrel mix of Samoan, NZ Maori with generous servings of German/English/Scottish white stuff. As a child, I wanted to be a lawyer, famous writer, the Prime Minister, start an Animal Rescue shelter, and be best friends with Laura Ingalls Wilder. I also wanted to find the Narnia wardrobe that would get me the heck out of here and take me to magical realms of adventure. Instead I grew up and became a high school English teacher. And then a full-time mother/slave. I have achieved one of my life goals already - I can make my own soap, pickle, preserve and bake stuff - which qualifies me as Little House on the Prairie material. Still working on the others...
Very busy with being busy, I kept telling myself I would be a writer "one day when I grow up." And then I woke up and realized I was old and I better hurry up and get writing. I write books about strong, vibrant Pacific women, fabulous gifted fa'afafine - and with some tattooed, chiselled men added in for good measure. Fiery fantasy romance for the Forever Young in all of us.
Oh, and that doorway to magical realms of adventure and imagination?
Found it.
Author Links

No comments:

Post a Comment